Monday, November 24, 2008

The Wonderland

This past saturday I spent the day in a outdoor class taught by an ecologist and avid outdoorsman (Lyndsey's idea for a xmas gift, VERY COOL BABE). This guy (Mark Wheeler) has spent the last 30 years or so learning about and literally living in practically every square inch of the thousands of acres that make up the Joshua Tree National Monument.

He took our class of nine people deep into a part of the monument known as "the Wonderland of Rocks". I thought I had seen it all up there but boy was I wrong. We never once came across another human while out there deep in the Wonderland. Tons of rock and boulder scrambling made it a very exciting 8 hour adventure, especially combined with Mark's knowledge.

Below are some photos that will hopefully give you at least a glimmer of what I experienced. I can hardly wait to go back.





















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool hike! What were the contraptions at the end?

The Miller Clan said...

That sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time. I'm sure you will share the next time we go!

Susan said...

Hey Aaron, Lyndsey;

Susan wanted me to look at the pictures y'all had, so she could get my reaction to them. And, the pictures were really cool.

But, she was a little surprised that what I noticed most was that the trip was made interesting by the guy that had spent "30 years" getting to know the park.

But that was it -- and it fits in with some things I've been thinking. Lots and lots of places are 'interesting' if you really know them, but it takes a lot of time to get 'to know' anywhere well.

For example, did you know that there is a natural bridge here, on Lookout Mtn? Or that there are mink in the Chickamauga Battlefield Park? Or that we have our very own sandstone rockfield, with formations somewhat like those pictured, on Pigeon Mountain? Or that there are rocks with incredible 'scour holes', 10' in diameter and 15' straight down, on the Hiwassee, an hour from here? (Just north of the reunion cabins).

I didn't know these things when I was growing up, but I think I would have loved it if someone had shown me! I know some of the Boy Scouts we're working with find this stuff amazing.

So I would encourage you to share what you are learning with kids around you. Seeing and learning about stuff like that can change the way they look at the world forever.

Ben Powell

PS: Happy Thanksgiving!

Ann Hermanson said...

Outstanding photos! I'm so glad you had the opportunity to go out with such a knowledgeable person. WHAT A WONFERFUL EXPERIENCE - I'M JEALOUS!! love ya!