Monday, May 12, 2008

Spelling Bee

Last week, Aaron and I took the kids to eat at the Applebee's down the road. They love Applebee's, so much that I think Applebee's was Ryder's second word. We don't eat there that often but when we do it is a treat. While we were eating Chloe felt that the conversation was lacking and brought up a topic that she is very much interested in, spelling. First it just started out as, "How do you spell....?" then as if we had injected both of them with a high concentration of sugar Chloe blurts out, "Dad! You're a W-I-O-X! Dad! You're a P-I-O-S! Dad! You're a X-Y-R!" and so on. Both Ryder and Chloe thought this was funnier than a Spongebob Squarepants episode and were doubled over in laughter. Then because Ryder did not want to be left out of the high hilarity going on at the table he said, "Dad.....YOU'RE A MAMA!" and really, what is funnier than that?

So spelling has taken over in the house. I think I spell out about 415 words a day many of them repeats. After about the 103rd word I usually try to turn these spelling tournaments into a proactive learning experience for Chloe. She'll ask, "Mom, how do you spell 'tree'? To which I'll answer, "Well, let's sound it out. Tah, tah, tah, what letter makes that sound?" By now Chloe eyes have glazed over and her brain is on lockdown. This frustrates me to no end because I know that in about 2.5 seconds she'll have another word for me to spell but will have no interest in spelling it herself. After witnessing her total disinterest in figuring out the letters herself it reminded me of a time when I ask my dad what I thought to be a very simple 'yes' or 'no' question. I remember being about 13 or 14 on a Sunday afternoon, it had to have been because it was a church related question. I asked, "Hey Dad, is the like benediction like a prayer?" Immediately, I knew that I was not going to get my yes or no answer because he got quite comfortable leaning up against the kitchen counter and he began, "Well, Lyndsey, it all began in the 15th century when a group of monks....." after that my brain clicked off. When Dad was finished he had that twinkle in his eye that beg to ask, "What other information may I bless you with my daughter?" to which I asked, "So like do I need to close my eyes?" I can understand the frustration my parents must have felt. So, do you need to close your eyes during the benediction? I don't know. Can't remember. It's a good thing we don't attend a church that includes a benediction because I would be totally stressing out.

To clarify, there are plenty of information that my parents have blessed me with that I do remember. However it took many more years of learning to listen before it actually sunk in. For now, I will continue to sound out words with the hope that Chloe will engage in the activity. And when she does we will celebrate....at Applebee's.

3 comments:

viking said...

Ha! "The Spelling Bee" sounds like a variation on the "Are We There Yet?" game. Starts innocently enough but ends with the the parent spinning on his, or her, eyebrows!

And on the question as to whether to close one's eyes during the Benediction, in a word, no. ;-)
Love
Dad

The Miller Clan said...

How cute! What fun times we have with our kids huh?? Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
J

viking said...

"Ode to a Daughter"

It was just yesterday wasn't it when my little girl pronounced to me most earnestly "Mommy when I grow up I want to be a mommy".
Well she's living that wish now and I marvel at just how well my daughter handles the "mommy thing". With a 4 and 2 year old hanging on her belt loops convinced they will perish if mommy doesn't feed them every ten minutes.
The reality of "rug rats" has finally sent my daughter into the twilight zone of crafts and gardening! (No surprise to me that's where most moms end up trying to convince themselves they still have a life separate from the kids!)
No more a couch potato (because if she sits it won't be long before my darling grandchildren swarm her with a pile of books and her faithful chihuahua longingly jumps up and down franticly in front of her).
Let's see if I remember correctly she almost failed art because she couldn't cut with scissors and dirt was a dirty word. One time when she was about 12, her Dad and I thought it was time she learn to drive the riding lawn mower. With horror we looked on as she made a direct beeline for the low plate glass window in the living room! Sometimes I wonder if that wasn't planned. But then there was that time I took her driving for the first time and I knew.
These days my little girl sees through my eyes for the first time and I smile and contemplate if she still wants to be a "Mommy",then I read her blogs and I know.

from a blessed Mother